Monday, March 8, 2010

I said I didn't think I cooked anymore......

That's what I wrote on Adrienne's blog the other day. I really should have said I don't use recipes much anymore. I don't have time. Funny, back before working outside my home, (yes, I did, in fact understand at the time how great that was) cooking was an everyday event. I liked it, I planned for it, most days it was relaxing. In the summer I would start at about 4:30 down in at our grill and by the time you know who came home, dinner would be done, I'd have read a couple of chapters in my book and made most of the people walking by out apartment want an invite for dinner. Now, I drive home somewhere between 5 and 7 wishing I had a cooking fairy. Sometimes the Doner Kebab man is my bestest friend. Most nights though I do cook. It's just that is simple. No frills. Poor you know who...... Then there are some nights that I'm in the mood for something more and sometimes something more is simple too.One word, Pesto.

~

Of course, you know who enjoys some protein, so we also had a pork chop with herb de provence.
Personally, I could just live on the pesto, tomatoes and avacado. I learned this from the guys at the Pasta Cafe. Super easy. I really should have wiped the plate edge for a prettier presentation but I was hungry.

  1. Leaves of 4 basil (2-3 cups) plants washed and dried (a salad spinner helps)
  2. 1 bag of pine nuts (the small bag)(you can use walnuts)
  3. 1-4 cloves of garlic, according to your taste
  4. Put these ingredients into a food processer and pulse several times
  5. Stream olive oil into processer while it is on until the pesto has a smoother consistancy. Turn off the processor and scrape the sides a few times during this process.
  6. parmesan cheese (I've seen some recipes ask for pecorino, it's a little sharper and harder for me to find)
  7. salt
  8. Add the parmesan (1/4 to 1/2 cup) and salt to taste, processing with each addition.
You can play with the flavors to your taste. I like garlic so I use more of that. Serve over your choice of cooked pasta. Refrigerate any leftovers. Add olive oil to the remaining pesto as you use it to keep it from drying out.


9 comments:

Jessica said...

yummy!
We had cereal tonight...

pearlswirl said...

Drooooooooool. This looks amazing. My student stomach will be growling for days.

Mary A. said...

mmmmmm,that looks great! I love a simple pasta like that. I'll have to try this one soon. Try mixing a little pesto with mayo on a chicken sandwich. I cheat and buy it in a jar though =) It's goooooood!

Mary

Adrienne said...

YUM!!! I'll be snagging this for TGWR, for sure. Do you want me to link back to your blog?

lizy said...

yummy!!! Makes me want to cook. Come over and cook for me :) I love to eat but detest the kitchen....

KD Designs said...

Mmmm! I didn't like pesto until I had it fresh from Vapiano's. Now I see what I've been missing! 30 pounds to go and then I can eat pasta again!

Jennifer said...

We're all posting about recipes! I missed this one yesterday. looks good...sort of...:)

sherie lee said...

I am so making this fri night, looks amazing!

Joan's Good Life said...

I LOVE pesto too! In the summer I make a LARGE amount of fresh pesto with my basil out of my garden and then I freeze what I don't use in cute little silicon heart shaped ice cube trays. Then I can add them to what ever dish I'm making all winter long and still have that lovely fresh flavor! I do this with my tomato paste too! I have a baggie full of both in my freezer at all times now! And they are so cute too! ;-)